The black magnetite or black oxide finish does not provide corrosion resistance on its own, so an oil, wax or sealer of some sort must be applied. When choosing a rust preventative for black oxide, consider the following questions:
- Is there a specific coating called out – solvent oil, water soluble oil, wax, torque modified sealer, etc.?
- What are the ASTM B117 salt spray or humidity testing requirements? (Ex. 96 hour salt spray/400 hour humidity)
- Is a dry-to-touch or oily surface required?
- Are there any lubricity requirements?
- Are there any Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) operating requirements?
- Any concerns about low flash-point oils?
Selecting a rust preventative can be challenging with all of the options available. JSA technical sales and service representatives offer a valuable resource of knowledge and experience to help with this process.
- On site visits to review the process equipment and production parts
- Free sample part processing in the JSA lab
- Free samples of the rust preventative chemicals for on site testing
- Start-up assistance and continued service to ensure product performance and customer approval